Why Positive Podiatry?
Podiatrist Jodi Tanner has completed post graduate Paediatric Podiatry studies at The University of South Australia. Jodi also completed a Human Movements Degree and has experience in activity programs with special needs groups. Jodi continues to attend paediatric related education and reads widely about child development.
We endeavour to provide effective, low cost solutions.
Paediatric foot assessments can take 30-45 minutes.
When should a child be assessed by a Podiatrist?
1. Presence of pain in the feet and legs of a child is never "normal".
2. Children who avoid physical activity should be assessed. Foot and leg instability can be a major cause of discomfort. From my experience each child should be able to find a physical activity they enjoy. It is important for long term health and wellness.
3. If your child falls frequently. Particularly tripping over feet and other balance issues.
4. If you are concerned that something is not quite right. This may include but not limited to. Unusual shaped feet, unusual leg alignment, feet that roll in too much, toe walking or in-toed gait or out-toed gait.
5. Delay's at reaching developmental milestones. Such as not walking at 20 months.
Foot orthotics may be required. A foot orthotic is a medically prescribed shoe insert. They support the feet and improve foot function.
A custom made foot orthotic is made by taking a 3D replication of the feet. This can be done using plaster of Paris or by scanning the foot. An orthotic is then made to support the bont structure of the foot.
Off the shelf foot orthotics may also be low cost option. They can be modified to suit your child's needs. Off the shelf foot orthotics are great for children who are growing fast.
We stock and dispense a large range of foot orthotics.
Child Foot and Leg Complaints