Why Positive Podiatry?
Podiatrist Jodi Tanner
Bachelor Applied Science Human Movement Studies Exercise Management (UQ) 1995.
Bachelor Applied Science in Podiatry (QUT) 1998.
Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences ( Uni SA)
Member Australian Podiatry Association.
Member Paediatric Specialist Interest Group.
Child Care worker Reef Ranger 1995.
Rugby Coach Western Districts Rugby Union club 1998-1999
Exercise professional Corporate Health Club and PCYC 1995-1999
Podiatrist 1999- current
Jodi continues to attend paediatric podiatric related education and reads widely about child development. Her main interest areas are hypermobility disorders and their effects through the lifespan and foot biomechanics.
Foot and leg problems treated include:
1. Pain in the feet, ankles and legs should not be seen as a "normal" problem for children and should be treated.
2. Night leg pains, also known as "growing pains" or benign nocturnal leg pains. This condition can be linked to hypermobility in some children.
3. Children who avoid physical activity should be assessed. From my experience each child should be able to find a physical activity they enjoy. It is important for their long term health and wellness.
4. Frequent falls. Particularly tripping over feet and other balance issues.
5.Excessive foot pronation and foot instability can be a major cause of leg discomfort.
6. Joint Hypermobility Syndrome is associated with many orthopaedic conditions including foot and leg pain but also back pain in adolescent age groups, hip pain in gymnasts and dancers, and osteoarthritic joints in adults. Early treatment is important to prevent chronic disability.
7. Heel pain or Severs disease.
8. Achilles tendonitis and other tendon pathology.
9. Intoed or out-toed gait.
10. Idiopathic toe walking.
11. Developmental delay's. Such as not walking by 20 months of age.
12. Ingrown toenails.
Foot orthotics are commonly used in the treatment of children's foot and leg problems. We supply foot orthotics that are appropriate to your child's needs. We can supply custom- made and customised foot orthotics. Customised orthotics are great low cost options that are awesome for children who are growing fast.
Footwear advice. Probably the most important aspect of providing successful advice in the treatment of children foot and leg pain is providing individualised advice.
Exercise advice. Stretching, strengthening and activity advice is given.
Foot Splints are used for a variety of foot and leg conditions.
Child Foot and Leg Complaints.